Roles Educators Play
in Learning Environments
While sitting in a desk as an elementary, secondary, and post-secondary
student, I typically view the person at the front of the classroom as the “expert”
in the field of study, whose role is to share his or her knowledge and
experiences. Usually through a lecture style
delivery, the educator talks while I hastily record the information, knowing
that I will be accountable to retrieve the information through some form of assessment
process at a later date. When it comes
time to prepare for the exam, I engage my memory skills to store as much
information as I can, using tools of the mind to create associations and
acronyms that will assist the retrieval process. Once the exam is complete, I briefly relax
the muscles that worked so hard to recall the information, only to exercise them
again by reactivating the rote learning cycle as new course material is
presented. As I reflect on this “input,
storage, output” approach to education, I fail to see how I am impacted by new
learning. More importantly, as I
consider my role as an educator, I feel challenged to explore more effective
approaches where learners’ lives are impacted through the educational
processes.
Having read a few articles related to experiential learning; more
specifically the role of reflection in the learning process, I am convinced
that as an educator, my role is to be more of a resource and facilitator than
the primary source of information. If I
view distilling information as my sole task as an educator, I have negated the value
of individual experiences of the learners seated before me. Kesson (2011) emphasizes that “the holistic
educators should emphasize process over content” and that “truly transformative
education could be a mutual and collective effort” to make meaning of life
experiences and information. Jordi
(2011) quotes Boud, Keogh, and Walker by describing “reflection” as the key
concept to life changing learning; it is the opportunity for students to “capture
their experiences, think about it, mull it over, and evaluate it”. Realistically, my classroom needs to be a
place where students can engage in critical reflection through the process of
considering how the new information jives with their beliefs, attitudes, and
values that have been cultivated through life experiences. This means that I need to be open to
spontaneous learning moments, as well as, I need to create activities where
students consider, debate, and reflect upon diverse experiences and
thoughts. This style of “teaching” is very
different than the educational environments I have experienced as a learner.
Jordi, R. (2011). Reframing the Concept of Reflection: Consciousness,
Experiential learning, and Reflective Practices, Adult Education Quarterly, 61(2), 181-197,
doi:10.1177/0741713610380439.
Kesson, Kathleen. (2011). Critical Theory and Holistic
Education: Carrying on the Conversation. Encounter Summer 2011, Vol. 24
Issue 2, 95-114.
No comments:
Post a Comment